Financing Your Course

1. Financial Assistance to Support your Learning

Professional and Career Development Loans are commercial bank loans that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help support the cost of up to two years of learning (or three years if it includes one year’s relevant unpaid practical work). The Government will pay the interest on the loan while you are learning and for one month afterwards. You will then need to start repaying the loan as you would any other commercial loan product. You can use the loan to pay course fees or other costs such as travel and living expenses. You can also use the loan to supplement other forms of support such as grants or bursaries.  As the Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial loan product, you should make sure you have investigated all the funding options that may be open to you to ensure you take an informed decision about whether the loan is right for you.  For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.  Our learning provider identification number is 6171.

2. By Combining the Course with Other Work

Part-time students are usually able to combine the course with other paid employment in order to finance their study. They will normally not start the Teaching Practice until after the course, or commit themselves to a brief period each week in Nursery Schools in order to allow time to work. Students should note that when arranging other commitments, the course itself will involve study at home for an average of approximately 12 hours per week, and time free from employment or other commitments should be allowed for this. Teaching Practice is normally unpaid, though often nurseries employ students on the course as unqualified helpers as vacancies arise, or occasionally help with travel. However, no guarantee of paid employment being available can be made to those on Teaching Practice. Students already employed in a Montessori Nursery School, can usually do their Teaching Practice in the school where they are employed, provided that their employer is in agreement, there are sufficient Montessori materials and a qualified Montessori staff member to act as a mentor.

3. With a Grant

It may be possible for anyone who is already working in an Early Years setting to obtain a grant from a local authority bursary  As each local authority has its own rules (and KSMC deals with 11 different LAs,) you should phone the local authority for availability and more details.


Comments are closed.